The Saints and Buccaneers first met in 1977. New Orleans has posted a 28-17 record vs. Tampa Bay, the club's second-best winning percentage (.622) vs. an opponent. The series is defined by tight, hard-fought games. Tampa Bay has never won more than two straight games.
In the 45 games of the series there has been:
- 986 points scored by New Orleans, 821 allowed.
- Six-game New Orleans winning streaks from 1983-88 and from 2011 to present.
- A 12-7 record for the Saints at game played in Tampa.
- 19 games decided by double-digits.
- Seven games decided by 21 or more points.
- 26 games decided by seven points or less.
- A 41-point win by New Orleans on December 16, 2012,