The Saints and Buccaneers first met in 1977. New Orleans has posted a 27-17 record vs. Tampa Bay, the club's second-best winning percentage (.614) vs. an opponent. The series is defined by tight, hard-fought games. Tampa Bay has never won more than two straight games.
In the 44 games of the series there has been:
- 949 points scored by New Orleans, 790 allowed.
- A six-game New Orleans winning streak from 1983-88.
- A 15-9 record for the Saints at game played at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- 19 games decided by double-digits.
- Seven games decided by 21 or more points.
- 25 games decided by seven points or less.
- A 41-point win by New Orleans on December 16, 2012, the club's first shutout against the Buccaneers.