Foes in the old NFC West from 1970-2001, the Saints and the 49ers have an extensive regular season history. While San Francisco leads the series 46-25-2, New Orleans has captured seven of the last eighth regular season meetings. The first meeting between the two clubs was a 27-13 Saints loss on October 22, 1967, New Orleans' inaugural season, in San Francisco's Kezar Stadium. The last meeting was a 23-20 Saints win at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Nov. 17, 2013.
In the 73 regular season games of the series there has been:
- Two seven-game San Francisco winning streaks from 1974-77 and from 1996-99.
- A six-game regular season winning streak for New Orleans from 2002-10
- A 14-24 record for the Saints in games played in New Orleans, but 5-1 in the last six meetings at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- 34 games decided by double-digits.
- 12 games decided by 21 or more points.
- 36 games decided by a touchdown or less.