Photos from the New Orleans Saints vs Houston Texans. Photos by Michael C. Hebert. (New Orleans Saints photos)
Sunday's loss dropped the Saints to 0-3 in the preseason heading into their finale Thursday night at Green Bay. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. CDT. * This was the eighth all-time preseason meeting between the Saints and Texans. The series is tied 4-4. * The Saints and Texans meet again in the regular season on Nov. 29 in Houston. * The Saints gained 393 total yards Sunday, just off their preseason average of 397.0 in the first two games. * Quarterback Drew Brees played the first series, completing four-of-six passes for 40 yards. Brees has engineered a scoring drive in all four of his possessions in the preseason, throwing two touchdowns and setting up two field goals.
- Playing the majority of the first half, QB Luke McCown completed 8-of-14 passes for 117 yards.
- QB Garrett Grayson, playing most of the second half, was 7-of-16 for 96 yards.
- QB Ryan Griffin entered the game for the final series of the fourth quarter; he was 1-of-3 for 12 yards and one interception.
- S Kenny Phillips, making his first start since he started for the Giants on Nov. 25, 2012, against Green Bay, led the Saints in tackles with eight, including six solo stops.
- RB/KR Marcus Murphy shared the team lead with eight carries, rushing for 43 yards. Murphy added a team-high 67 yards on three receptions and had an additional 31 yards in returns.
- Running back Edwin Baker rushed for a team-high 49 yards and scored one touchdown on two carries. Baker rushed for a 45-yard score in the third quarter.
- Wide receiver Willie Snead led the Saints in receptions, accumulating 56 yards on four catches, with a long of 23 yards.
- In limited time, receiver Brandin Cookscaught two passes for 19 yards.
- WR/KR Jalen Saunders returned five kickoffs for 132 yards, including a 50-yard return.
- Defensive end Tavaris Barnesand defensive tackle Tyeler Davisoncombined for a sack in the third quarter.
- Cornerback Delvin Breaux, a New Orleans native making his first start, finished with two tackles.
- Kicker Zach Hocker handled duties in the first half and connected on both of his field goal attempts, including a 53-yarder on the final play of the first half. It was Hocker's second made field goal of 50 yards or longer this preseason.