4:20 p.m. - Practice 7
The Saints capped off an eventful day Monday afternoon with an indoor practice that started at 4:20 p.m.
The Saints will have one practice on Tuesday at 8:50 a.m. The session will be outside and is open to the public.
Commissioner Meets Team, Commends City
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell met the Saints front office, team and also spoke to the media prior to the Saints' afternoon practice. Goodell commended the Saints organization and called it a "model to emulate." "I think the relationship between the team and this community is very special," said Goodell. "I think this team has always played a very valuable role as well as the NFL, in helping (New Orleans). First, in rebuilding the Superdome, which was a symbol in the tragedy that took place here. That was a big part of it. When we came back here and played (vs. Atlanta Sept. 25, 2006), that was one of the highlights of my career. This community keeps coming back and meets every challenge. It shows the world why it is such a great place to be."
- Goodell said New Orleans "holds a pretty special place" for him because of a job he had during Super Bowl XX in the Big Easy. "One of my jobs early on for Pete Rozelle was as his driver for the Super Bowl. I will never forget Super Bowl XX. 'Yours truly was waiting for him at the airport and I locked myself out of my car, which wasn't a good start. Fortunately, I got in the car before he got there."
- TE Jeremy Shockeywas present for the afternoon practice but did not participate. He observed his teammates and talked with tight ends coach Terry Malone.
- LB Scott Shanle sat out the afternoon practice. Coach Payton said Shanle sat out due to a strained knee but would be good to go tomorrow.
- After sitting out the morning practice as a precaution, DL Jimmy Wilkerson participated in the afternoon session.
Brees-Colston Connection About To Heat Up
- Head coach Sean Paytonsaid he expects WR Marques Colstonto be back at practice on Tuesday after missing the first seven practices while on the active Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List.
- Rooke C Matt Tennant returned to practice this afternoon after being excused from the first four days of camp following the passing of his mother.