Saints News | New Orleans Saints |

Chiefs Defeat Saints, 27-24, in Overtime

Succop made a 31-yard field goal to win the game for Kansas City


The Kansas City Chiefs (1-2) defeated the New Orleans Saints (0-3), 27-24, on Sunday on a 31-yard field goal in overtime by Chiefs K Ryan Succop.

The Saints will return to action when they go on the road next weekend to play the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on Sunday, September 30 with a 3:25 p.m. kickoff.

"We are obviously disappointed, but not disheartened," said New Orleans Offensive Line/Running Game Coach Aaron Kromer. "We are going to keep battling. We are going to face our biggest challenge."

QB Drew Brees completed 20-of-36 passes for 240 yards and three touchdowns.

RB Darren Sproles carried seven times for 62 yards (8.9 avg.) on the ground, including a career-long 57-yard rush.

WR Lance Moore caught four passes for 70 yards with one touchdown to lead the Saints in yardage. WR Devery Henderson also had four receptions for a total of 53 yards.

LB Curtis Lofton led the team in tackles with 13 (nine solo) while also adding two pass defenses. DE Will Smith recorded six tackles (three solo) and one sack while getting to the quarterback three times. DE Junior Galette earned two sacks and a forced fumble in situational play.

The Saints were three-for-four in the red zone while not allowing the Chiefs to score in the red zone in four attempts. The Chiefs, however, outgained the Saints on the ground, 273-83. The Chiefs had possession of the ball for 42:32.

The Saints won the coin toss and chose to receive to start their third contest of the season against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Saints moved the ball down the field quickly and efficiently on their first possession. Faced with an early third down, Brees handed off the football to Sproles who took the ball 47 yards down the left side. Brees then connected on a 19-yard completion to WR Marques Colston and capped off the drive with a nine-yard touchdown thrown to Moore. K Garrett Hartley made the PAT and put the Saints ahead, 7-0, after a six-play, 83-yard, scoring drive, the second straight week New Orleans scored a touchdown on their opening drive. With the touchdown throw, Brees continued his streak of 46 consecutive games with a scoring completion, second most all-time with the opportunity to tie the NFL record held by Johnny Unitas next Sunday in Green Bay.

QB Matt Cassel took the field for Kansas City for the Chiefs' first offensive possession. Cassel completed five consecutive throws for 47 yards and RB Jamaal Charles added 26 yards on the ground with five carries. WR Dexter McCluster caught two passes from Cassel for a total of 25 yards. The Chiefs were unable to convert in the red zone and K Ryan Succop kicked a 25-yard field goal through the uprights to bring the score to 7-3.

Brees and the offense were faced with an early third down again on their second possession and the Saints offense converted with a big play. Brees connected on a deep throw to Henderson for a 36-yard gain down the right seam. Brees then picked up another 17-yard through the air on a pass to Moore went down while catching the football. Brees then completed two consecutive throws to TE Jimmy Graham but Graham was stopped by S Eric Berry before Graham could pick up a first down to bring the end of the first quarter, following a successful replay challenge of the spot by Kansas City.

Hartley came on and made a 40-yard field goal and gave the Saints a 10-3 lead.

After a Chiefs three-and-out, the Saints took over from their own 19-yard line. Thomas caught a short pass from Brees and picked up 14 yards and a first down. The Saints weren't able to move the chains after that as Brees was brought down in the backfield for a ten-yard loss by LB Derrick Johnson. Brees connected with Thomas again for seven yards but it wasn't enough to move the chains and Morstead punted the ball for a career-long 70-yards into the end zone for a touchback.

Following a three-and-out by the Saints, CB Javier Arenas returned the punt 24-yards into New Orleans territory. Cassel connected on his first throw of the possession to WR Dwayne Bowe for 15 yard and a first down. The Chiefs weren't able to advance the ball further downfield and Succop connected on a 45-yard field goal to bring the score to 10-6.

The Saints offense then moved the ball down the field to the nine-yard line, but left the drive without any points. Brees connected on a ten-yd pass to Moore and a seven-yd throw to Henderson. Thomas added 37-yards on the drive including a 27-yard reception that he took down the left sideline. It appeared that Brees had connected on a nine-yard touchdown throw to Thomas but the play was overturned by an official's review inside the two minute warning. Following the challenge, on third-and-seven, Brees was sacked by Johnson for the second time, this time for a loss of 11-yards and then Hartley missed the 38-yard field goal attempt.

Kansas City attempted a drive down the field with little time left on the clock. Cassel was sacked for a loss of seven yards by Galette after a five-yard rush by RB Shaun Draughn. Cassel then connected on a 19-yard pass to Charles before spiking the ball to stop the clock. As time was about to expire in the first half, Cassel was sacked by Galette who forced a fumble that was recovered by Jordan and the Saints held on to a 10-6 halftime lead.

After Draughn returned the opening kickoff of the second half 23 yards, Cassel completed a pass to McCluster for three yards and McCluster lost the football. LB Jonathan Casillas recovered the ball but the play was blown dead by the officials before Casillas could advance towards the end zone, it was ruled following a Saints replay challenge.

After an incomplete pass on first down, Brees connected on an 18-yard throw to Moore but the play was reversed by the officials after a Kansas City challenge. Brees then targeted Colston and completed a 13-yard pass for a first down. Thomas then rushed for five yards to bring the Saints to the Kansas City one-yard line where Brees completed a one-yard touchdown throw to Graham. Hartley made the extra point and increased the Saints' lead to 17-6.

Charles rushed four consecutive times on the next Chiefs possession for a total of 24 yards but the Chiefs punted the ball away after being unable to pick up another first down.

After another Saints punt, Cassel completed a 10-yard pass to TE Steve Maneri to start the drive. On his next throw, Cassel was intercepted by CB Jabari Greer and Greer returned the ball 28 yards to the Kansas City seven-yard line. After a rush by Ingram for one yard, Brees completed a six-yard pass to FB Jed Collins for a touchdown. Hartley connected on the PAT and made the score, 24-6.

Morstead kicked the ball away and Draughn was brought down after just a 14-yard return to the Kansas City nine-yard line. On first down, Charles carried the ball 91 yards on the left side for a touchdown, the longest rush in Chiefs history. Succop made the extra point and made the score 24-13.

Brees completed two passes on the next New Orleans possession including a 34-yard throw to Moore that moved him past Fran Tarkenton in all-time completions. On second down from the Kansas City 29-yard line, Brees was intercepted on a deep pass by CB Stanford Routt who returned the ball 32-yards from the goal line.

The Chiefs looked to capitalize on their next possession. Cassel completed an 11-yard pass to Bowe before Charles broke off a 40-yard gain on the ground. Draughn was then stopped for a 4-yard loss by Jordan and S Roman Harper to end the third quarter. After a quick completion to start the fourth quarter, Cassel was sacked by Smith to bring up fourth-and-long. Succop made a 34-yard field goal to bring the game within one score, 24-16.

After the Saints went three-and-out on their next possession, the Chiefs took over at their own 30-yard line. Charles rushed four times for 23 yards. Cassel completed only one throw for 11-yards on the drive and the Chiefs settled for a 38-yard field goal by Succop. With 9:11 remaining in the fourth quarter, the Saints held a 24-19 lead.

Both teams went three-and-out on their next possession. After a Chiefs' punt, the Saints took over from deep inside their own territory on the nine-yard line. After a rush for a loss, Brees dropped back and was taken down in the end zone for a loss of seven-yards and a safety by LB Justin Houston. The safety brought the score within three points, 24-21.

Charles rushed six times on the next Kansas City possession as the Chiefs used 5:30 of clock to move the ball 37 yards. Succop made a 43-yard field goal to tie the game at 24 with three seconds remaining.

Brees took a knee to send the game to overtime.

The Chiefs won the coin toss and chose to receive in overtime. Kansas City was able to move the ball down to New Orleans territory but two consecutive incompletions by Cassel led to a Chiefs punt. The Saints took over on their own three-yard line.

The Saints couldn't move the ball out of their own territory and punted back to the Chiefs. Kansas City rushed seven times and moved the ball downfield while also converting on a fourth-and-inches play to extend the drive. Succop made a 31-yard field goal to end the game, giving the Chiefs the 27-24 overtime victory.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content