<span style="">In the weeks leading up to the start of the New Orleans Saints' 2009 training camp, NewOrleansSaints.com will take an inside look at some interesting facts and figures of various high-profile players on the Saints' roster. This is part seven in the series. </span><span style=""><span style=""> </span>
DEFENSIVE TACKLE SEDRICK ELLIS
NFL Experience in 2009: 2nd Season
Years with Saints: 2nd Season
College: Southern California
- A three-year starter at Southern California, the Saints selected Ellis with the seventh pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. A first-team All-American and the PAC-10 Defensive Player of the Year as a senior, Ellis moved into the starting lineup immediately as a rookie and started all 13 games that he appeared in and recorded 42 tackles, while also tying for the fourth-most sacks among NFL rookies and second in the NFC with four sacks, which also represented the second-highest total on the Saints' team.
- Ellis was selected to the Pro Football Weekly all-rookie team.
- Recorded his first career sack and also recorded three solo tackles in the Saints' win over the San Francisco 49ers (9/28/08).
- In team's Monday Night Football game over the Green Bay Packers at the Superdome, the rookie had three tackles, a sack and a pass defensed.
- Recorded his second sack in as many games when he had his fourth sack of the season at Detroit (12/21/08) on a fourth down play that forced a Lions turnover on downs. Also had four tackles on the afternoon in the Saints' win.
- Missed three games due to mid-season knee injury that required surgery, but bounced back quickly and picked up right where he left off prior to the injury.
Recorded at three or more tackles in 11-of-the-13 games he started, including a season-high five tackles on two different occasions (at ATL and at CHI).