In the weeks leading up to the start of the New Orleans Saints' 2009 training camp, NewOrleansSaints.com will take an inside look at some interesting facts and figures of various high-profile players on the Saints' roster. This is part six in the series.
WIDE RECEIVER DEVERY HENDERSON
NFL Experience in 2009: 6th Season
Years with Saints: 6th Season
College: Louisiana State University
A second-round draft choice by the Saints in 2004, Henderson is a dangerous component of the Saints' offensive arsenal with his blazing speed and ability to stretch opposing defenses. He displayed his deep threat abilities yet again in 2008 with 32 receptions for 793 yards and three scores. Henderson's average of 24.8 yards per catch was ranked first in the NFL. He led the Saints with 14 plays from the line of scrimmage of 20 yards or more.
HIGHEST RECEIVING AVERAGE BY NFL PLAYERS IN 2008
(Minimum 30 receptions)
- Since being drafted in 2004, Henderson has averaged 21.6 yards a reception, the highest average of any Saints player with at least 100 career receptions. Of his 84 receptions since 2006, 26 have been completions of 25 yards or longer, including an 84-yard touchdown vs. Tampa Bay (9/7/2008) and an 81-yarder vs. San Francisco (9/28/2008), which also ranks tops on the team during this period. Since 2006, Henderson has recorded five 100-yard games, ten touchdowns and also rushed for a touchdown.
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS ALL-TIME RECEIVING AVERAGE LEADERS
(Minimum 100 receptions)
- Henderson has played in 60 career regular season games, making 32 starts, and owns 106 career receptions for 2,290 yards and 14 touchdowns receiving and nine carries for 76 yards (8.4 average) with one touchdown.
2008 DEVERY HENDERSON HIGHLIGHTS
- Week One, NO vs. TB (9/7): Henderson's third quarter 84-yard touchdown reception from QB Drew Brees was the longest reception of his five-year career.
- Week Five, NO vs. MIN (10/6): Henderson had a season-high four receptions for 104 yards with one touchdown. Brees and Henderson connected to opening the scoring in the first quarter when they connected on a 17-yard touchdown pass and later teamed up for a 52-yard completion. Also had one carry for 7 yards.
- Week Six, NO vs. OAK (10/12): Had two receptions for 68 yards (34.0 avg.) with a long of 51 yards in the Saints' win.
- Week Seven, NO at CAR (10/19): Made three receptions for 80 yards, including a 54-yard completion from Brees.
- Week Ten, NO at ATL (11/9): Had two receptions for 33 yards and had his longest rush of the season, a 30-yard carry, which marked the longest rush of his five-year career.
- Week 14, NO vs. ATL (12/7): Recorded three receptions for 72 yards (24.0 avg.) in the team's win over the Falcons at the Superdome.
- Week 16, NO at DET (12/21): Henderson had two receptions for 96 yards, including a 64-yarder, against the Lions at Ford Field.