<span style="">In the weeks leading up to the start of the New Orleans Saints' 2009 training camp, NewOrleansSaints.com will take an inside look at some interesting facts and figures of various high-profile players on the Saints' roster. This is part nine in the series.</span><span style=""> <span style=""><span style=""> </span></span>
WR LANCE MOORE
NFL Experience in 2009: 4th Season
Years with Saints: 4th Season
- After spending the majority of the 2005 and 2006 seasons on the Saints' practice squad and also honing his game in NFL Europa, Moore has developed into one of the most reliable targets for QB Drew Brees.
Moore broke out in 2008 as the club's leading receiver with 79 receptions for 928 yards (11.7 avg.) and ten touchdowns, including at least one in five straight contests, which set a club-record for receiving touchdowns in consecutive games. *
The slippery wide out from Toledo, who caught 32 passes in 2007, more than doubled his output from 2007 to 2008, marking a 47-reception improvement from one season to the next, which also set a club-record. *
Among all Saints players that were undrafted, Moore's 2008 season was the most prolific single season in all-receiving categories in club history. He was tied for 18th in the NFL in receptions, ranked 26th in receiving yardage, tied for 13th with 22 third down grabs and fifth in scoring catches.
MOST TOUCHDOWN CATCHES IN THE NFL IN 2008
|RANK ||PLAYER ||TEAM ||TD REC.|
|1t.||Calvin Johnson ||DET||12|
|1t.||Larry Fitzgerald ||ARZ ||12|
|3t.||Anquan Boldin ||ARZ ||11|
|3t.||Randy Moss ||NE ||11|
|5t.||Lance Moore ||NO ||10|
|5t. ||Tony Gonzalez ||KC ||10|
|5t. ||Terrell Owens ||DAL ||10|
MOST RECEIVING TOUCHDOWNS IN A SINGLE-SEASON BY A SAINT
|RANK ||PLAYER ||YEAR || TD REC.|
|1t.||Joe Horn ||2004||11|
|1t.||Marques Colston ||2007||11|
|3t. ||Joe Horn ||2003||10|
|3t.||Lance Moore ||2008||10|
|5t.||Henry Childs ||1977 ||9|
|5t.||Joe Horn ||2001||9|
2008 MEMORABLE MOORE MOMENTS
- Moore enjoyed a breakout performance vs. the San Francisco 49ers on September 28 when he led the Saints with seven receptions for 101 yards and two touchdowns, which set a personal-best for more touchdowns in a game.
A summary of the performances by Moore during his club-record five consecutive games with a touchdown reception:
- October 26, 2008 vs. San Diego: Moore led the Saints in receiving yards at London's Wembley Stadium with six receptions for 90 yards, including an acrobatic 30-yard touchdown grab.
- November 9, 2008 at Atlanta: Moore hauled in a 32-yard touchdown on the game's final play.
- November 16, 2008 at Kansas City: Moore set career-highs with eight receptions for 102 yards, including a then career-long 47-yard touchdown reception.
- November 24, 2008 vs. Green Bay: Moore tied for the club-lead with five receptions and led the team with a career-high 115 yards and tied his career-high with two touchdown receptions. Moore caught a career-long 70-yard scoring grab from Drew Brees in the first quarter and then, in the second quarter, added a 14-yard touchdown reception that once again put the Saints in the lead.
- November 30, 2008 at Tampa Bay: Moore became the first Saint to score a receiving touchdown in five straight contests when he reeled in a 16-yard strike from Brees.
For the month of November (four games), Moore had 21 receptions for 308 yards (14.7 avg.) and led the NFL with five receiving scores.
Moore finished the season strongly, as he tallied his third multiple touchdown game of the season when he played a key role in the Saints' fourth quarter rally versus Carolina on December 28 when he had a career-high tying eight receptions for 91 yards and two touchdowns.