Quarterback DREW BREES of the New Orleans Saints, cornerback CHARLES WOODSON of the Green Bay Packers and punt returner-wide receiver DE SEAN JACKSON of the Philadelphia Eagles are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for September, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB DREW BREES, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
• Brees guided the Saints to a 3-0 record and led the NFL in passer rating (118.1) and passing touchdowns (nine).
• The Saints scored 120 points during the month, the most by a team through the first three weeks of a season since 1968 (Dallas, 132) and the fourth-highest all-time.
• He led the NFC with a 69.1 completion percentage and an 8.67 yards per attempt average.
• In Week 1, he became the first player in NFL history to pass for six touchdowns on Kickoff Weekend.
• Brees' nine touchdowns in the first two games tied for the most in league annals (CHARLEY JOHNSON, 1965).
• In his ninth season from Purdue, this is Brees' second career Player of the Month Award (September 2008). He was recognized earlier this year as the NFC Offensive Player of Week 1.
• He is the only Saint to be named NFC Offensive Player of the Month multiple times.
DEFENSE: CB CHARLES WOODSON, GREEN BAY PACKERS
• Woodson had 18 tackles and tied for the NFL lead with three interceptions, including a 37-yard interception-return touchdown.
• In Week 2, he had 10 tackles and two interceptions for 59 yards, including the touchdown.
• Since joining the Packers in 2006, Woodson has recorded five interception-return touchdowns, the most in the league during that span.
• He is the first player in franchise history to score on an interception in four consecutive seasons.
• Woodson is tied for the most interceptions since 2006 with 22 (Baltimore's ED REED).
• In his 12th season from Michigan, this is Woodson's second career Player of the Month Award (September 2008).
• He is the only cornerback in franchise history to be named NFC Defensive Player of the Month and joins safety ATARI BIGBY (December 2007) as the only defensive backs to be honored.
SPECIAL TEAMS: PR-WR DE SEAN JACKSON, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
• Jackson led the NFL with a 22.2-yard punt-return average and had an 85-yard punt-return touchdown.
• He also had 12 catches for 259 yards and two touchdowns and added five rushes for 48 yards.
• His 85-yard punt-return touchdown in Week 1 was the second-longest punt-return TD in team history.
• Jackson scored touchdowns of 85, 71 and 64 yards during the month to become the first player in NFL history to record a 60 yard TD in each of the first three games of a season.
• In his second season from California, this is Jackson's first career Player of the Month Award. He was recognized earlier this year as the NFC Special Teams Player of Week 1.
• Jackson is the first return specialist in team history to be named NFC Special Teams Player of the Month. He joins kicker DAVID AKERS (November 2000, October 2007) and punter SAV ROCCA (September 2008) as the only Eagles to be honored with a monthly award.