HOUSTON TEXANS VS. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
SUNDAY, AUG. 27, 2023 ● CAESARS SUPERDOME
The Saints lost to the Houston Texans 17-13 in the final preseason game. They finished the preseason 2-1 to record their first winning record in the preseason since 2018. Sunday's attendance was 70,053.
- The Saints return to action Sunday, Sept. 10, when they open their regular season hosting the Tennessee Titans at noon CT. The game will be regionally televised on CBS (WWL 4 locally).
- New Orleans outgained the Texans 348-235 and converted eight-of-20 first downs (40.0%).
- Quarterback Jameis Winston received the start and completed 11-of-16 passes (68.8%) for 93 yards with one touchdown and a 104.4 passer rating. In the third drive of the contest, Winston completed six-of-six passes for 58 yards, including three third down conversions. Winston completed a 25-yard pass to Graham and a three-yard touchdown.
- In relief of Winston, Jake Haener completed 17-of-38 passes for 172 yards with two interceptions.
- Tight end Jimmy Graham had three receptions for 34 yards and a TD. It was Graham's first touchdown as a Saint since a four-yard touchdown pass from Drew Brees on Dec. 21, 2014 vs. Atlanta. Graham last scored a touchdown in the Superdome as a member of the Chicago Bears on Jan. 10, 2021, a 19-yard touchdown pass from Mitch Trubisky on the last play of Chicago's NFC Wild Card playoff loss to the Saints.
Tight end Lucas Krull led the team in receiving with seven grabs for 106 yards. He is the only Saint to have recorded a 100+ receiving yards in a game this preseason.
- Receiver Jontre Kirklin finished with five receptions for 63 yards.
- Running back Ellis Merriweather led the team in rushing with eight attempts for 32 yards.
- Kicker Blake Grupe went 2-for-3 on field goals, hitting one from 38 yards and one from 50 yards while missing a 60-yard attempt.
- Defensively, linebacker Jaylon Smith tied for the team lead with five tackles (club-best four solo), including a team-high two stops for loss.
- Linebacker Nephi Sewell tied Smith with five stops (Three solo) and also tied for the team lead with two solo special teams stops.
- Defensive end Isaiah Foskey, defensive lineman Malcolm Roach and defensive end Niko Lalos finished with one sack apiece. Roach added one forced fumble.
- Rookie defensive back Jordan Howden tied Sewell for the team lead with two solo coverage stops and also added one solo tackle.
- Second-year linebacker D'Marco Jackson finished with two tackles (one solo) and two special teams stops (one solo), to tie Howden and Sewell in the overall category.
Check out the game action from the New Orleans Saints game against the Houston Texans in Week 3 of the 2023 NFL Preseason.