Associated Press photos of Brandin Cooks in the New Orleans Saints preseason opener against the St. Louis Rams on Friday, August 8, 2014.
The Saints and Rams have played 71 times in the regular season with Los Angeles holding a 40-31 edge, while New Orleans has captured the lone playoff contest. Former longtime foes in the NFC West, the Saints have played only the Atlanta Falcons (94) and the San Francisco 49ers (75) more often than the Rams. Since Sean Payton became head coach in 2006, the Rams have won three of the five meetings. From 1985-95, New Orleans won 15-of- 20 meetings with the Rams. In the 71 games of the series there has been:
• 1,438 points scored by New Orleans, 1,603 allowed.
• A seven-game New Orleans winning streak from 1990- 93.
• Two three-game New Orleans winning streaks in games played at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome from 1985-87 and 1990-92.
• 38 games decided by double-digits.
• Nine games decided by 21 or more points.
• 32 games decided by eight points or less.
• One 31-point win by New Orleans.
• A 31-point loss by New Orleans.