The series has been defined by hard-fought contests and lengthy periods of dominance for both clubs. Since 1991, 26 games have been decided by a touchdown or less. The Falcons had a 10-game winning streak from 1995-99, which remains the Saints’ longest winless streak against an opponent. New Orleans took 13 of 16 in the rivalry from 1986-94 and Atlanta won nine-straight over the fledgling Saints from 1969-73.
Atlanta’s most recent mastery over a five-year period ended with a 21-19 win for New Orleans at the Georgia Dome on Nov. 22, 2000. Six games in the series have gone into overtime, including the 26-23 Saints win on November 13, 2011 at the Georgia Dome.
In the 88 games of the series there has been:
• One postseason contest, the NFC Wild Card Playoff on Dec. 28, 1991, a 27-20 Falcons win at the Superdome.
•1,833 points scored by New Orleans, 1,941 allowed.
• A ten-game Atlanta winning streak from 1995-99.
• A six-game win streak for New Orleans from 1986-89.
• An 11-10 record for the Saints in games played in the Georgia Dome.
• 37 games decided by double-digits.
• 17 games decided by 21 or more points.
• 44 games decided by seven points or less.
• 3 games decided by one point.
• A 38-point win by Saints (11/1/87) - Biggest Saints win.
• A 55-point loss by Saints (9/16/73) - Biggest Saints loss.
• Four shutouts—Two by each club, the most recent a 38-0 win in Atlanta on 11/1/87.
• Six overtime games— three wins by New Orleans.
• Six Monday night games, two Sunday night games and three Thursday night games.
• Eight season openers and six season finales.
• A 22-23 home record for New Orleans and a 20-23 road record.
Saints’ Largest Margin of Victory: 38 points, Saints won 38-0 on 11/01/87 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
Falcons’ Largest Margin of Victory: 55 points, Falcons won 62-7 on 09/16/73 at Tulane Stadium.
Current Series Streak: Saints won last contest, 9/8/13.
Saints’ Longest Win Streak: Six games, 12/14/86-11/19/89.
Falcons’ Longest Win Streak: Ten games, 9/17/95-12/05/99.
Most Points by Saints in a Game: 45 points (twice),
(Most Recent). Saints won 45-16 on 12/26/11 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
Most Points by Falcons in a Game: 62 points, Falcons won 62-7 on 09/16/73 at Tulane Stadium.
Most Combined Points (Both Teams): 74 points, Falcons won 40-34 in overtime on 09/02/79 at Superdome.
Fewest Points by Saints in a Game: Zero points (twice), (Most Recent). Falcons won 27-0 on 09/06/81 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
Fewest Points by Falcons in a Game: Zero points (twice), (Most Recent). Saints won 30-0 on 10/10/76 at Superdome.